Thursday, March 20, 2014

Poetry

Week 3 of posting my Slice of Life, I realize that a lot of the posts and inspiration is based off of poetry. The older I get I find it harder to sit down and write. I used to love expressing my ideas, stories and views from my personal point of view. However, I truly believe I let work and life get in the way. As a student and a worker for most of my life I never allowed my self "free" time. The only free time I allow is for my friends and now a lot for reading (usually before bed most nights).

As life goes on I reflect on my work, recently I decided to retrieve a poem I had published years ago when I was writing frequently on Poetry.com. They chose my poem and it was published in a book for me and my grandfather purchased a copy for me to keep and remember. I remember how happy and excited my family was for me, every year they encouraged me to write for the news paper Halloween Short Stories (non which I was picked for) and continue to write poem and try to publish them elsewhere. 

The inspiration for this poem came one warm summer night when we were kids at my neighbors house. We live where there is ton of woods and wildlife. As a typical summer night we were all on the front porch playing cards and two deer come out to feed on the berry bushes in the clearing of my neighbors yard. 

Here is my first and only published poem:

The Amazing Sight

The house I know I'm at
Looking far and near
The warm air soothes me
As I watch the bushes sway
The mother deer comes out and looks around
We all stopped to watch
All of a sudden a fawn comes out to play
It stays close to its mom, not to go very far
As we watch closely, the fawn feeds on the berry bushes
Once it had its fill, it runs away into the woods
Mother following after
Not to be seen again for a while
Then we go back to talking
And as we did before
Also what we had just seen before

No comments:

Post a Comment