Monday, March 31, 2014

Loving Animals

After reading the post about a woman who argues with her sons about keeping a dog they rescued I am compelled to write about the dog we rescued 3 years ago....

We already had two pure bred golden retrievers who were well trained, personable and absolutely crazy when they wanted to be, need not mention they wanted to be 75 pound lap dogs. One day my brother called my mom and ask if we could take in a new dog and find him a home. After more probing and questions we were told this situation:

My brother's girlfriend had a neighbor who was looking for a good home for her dog, he was pure bred golden retriever and he was well behaved. If we didn't take him they were going to take him to a pound where they would most likely put him down and not find a loving and caring home for him at the young age of two.

Being the caring and compassionate family we are we decided to take him in. We already had two dogs, what was one more?

My brother finally brought Jeter home and we couldn't wait to meet him. We all worked at different times that day and had to see him individually. To keep the other dogs from pestering him before he was well acquainted and to make sure no dog fighting happened we left him in my brothers room with the door closed unless someone was home to properly integrate the dogs together.

Not much after he was brought home my mom called to tell me "We are not keeping him!" I was upset and confused as to why we were finding another home for this poor dog. Well when I met him I knew why...

Jeter was not a pure bred, he was a mix of which we are still not sure of. He had pointy ears, fluffy hair, a curly tail and a very purple tongue. However, he was just too sweet and cute not to love instantly.

Even though Jeter was not the dog we thought we were going to rescue from a home that no longer wanted him, three years later he is the light of my life and a very happy and well cared for puppy. He has taught us new tricks and he has warmed up to the family after what we think was an abusive past. I am happy to call him my little fluff ball and wouldn't have changed it for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment