Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blogging, Podcasting & Oral Histories

This week my time was dedicated to blogging, podcasting & oral histories. At first I was not sure what to expect or what I was going to learn. So here it is, ironically I sit here and blog about it...

Blogging:

Blogging I had heard of multiple times via, internet, radio, tv shows (specifically food network) and my current education class. I always knew it was something people did or do on a regular basis some more frequent than others. However, I never realized how much I actually do too!  Before when I had a Facebook, that's blogging, Twitter which I don't have but have accessed is blogging, Plurk which I have recently encountered is blogging. Who knew?!  And here we do this on a daily, hourly basis as grown adults catching up with old college or high school friends, finding the trendiest stores and looking for sales or as children (students) who also connect with people, gossip and follow their person of interest in the music or movie world. We are all Blogging, or micro blogging when social media is involved. Micro blogging is the same concept but you are limited to the amount of characters you can post. Most of us somewhere are always posting out thoughts, concerns or ideas. Even when most of us are at work, in school or going about our daily business Blogging is in the palm of our hands. As most of us have cell phones and now mostly Smart Phones, all of us can access these sites via mobile apps.
Although only 8% of us 12 million post blogs and 39% of us read them, the numbers have increased over 70 million since 2003. The main uses of Blogging are:

  • Daily Chatter - using microblogging to answer its original question and purpose: "what are you doing?” The answer generates reports regarding routines and other episodes of daily life. 
  • Conversations - threading conversations between fellow microbloggers, allowed by the addition of @ to one’s micropost 
  • Sharing information - Sharing URLs to relevant resources enhanced by short comments. It can be seen as a user-driven or user-rated exchange of Hyperlinks. 
  • Reporting News – providing information on recent event
As Blogging quickly becomes the future in publishing and non publishing. Most blogs are categorized as online journals. Some post to just write and have a creative out look other blog to be heard and others blog to get feedback from others as well. Teachers who blog are always sharing ideas and gaining new ones by sharing with others around the world. Blogs have found their way into classrooms and are making headway with most. Although there are teachers who are still not keen on the idea and are hesitant to introduce it to their classrooms. As many feel blogging engages students and allows those who normally would not participate as much have a voice. The world is comfortable behind the use of words they can type and not always speak. In my research I came across an article that peaked my interest. I am not in a classroom teaching yet however I feel I would attempt to introduce blogging into the classroom. 

Click on the photo to learn 5 reasons blogging should be in the classroom. 

Pod-casting :

Pod casting is not new to me however I believe it has make a run at the future and changed since I have used it last. For me 5 years ago as my senior year and last semester as an undergraduate student I took an IT (informational technology) course to fill my schedule to remain full time. I was utterly baffled and slightly uncomfortable when the information was first thrown at me. I was a math major not a technology major and I had not seen or heard of most of the new tools we were using. Luckily I was paired with a peer who was also a Childhood Education major but a technology major as well. We worked well together and she helped me where the technology barrier was new for me. As a final project we were to create a pod cast. We chose to record using Audacity. I actually enjoyed the assignment and we scored a perfect grade. Although I have not used it since I would be interested to try again and create something for the classroom. That being said pod-casting is quickly being used in classrooms in all subjects. After reviewing the KQED Video I found myself in Awe! Monina Salazar who was unsure at first has introduced pod-casting and uses it in all subjects for major projects. She has also realized that most of the children already know how to use the technology better and faster than she ever could.
Monina Salazar explains that pod-casting allows the students to add:
  • Sound- place & time
  • Music- creates mood
  • Voice- which provides info
Pod casting doesn't necessarily only involve recording your voice or sounds over a Web 2.0 tool but the old school way of reading and writing and yes arithmetic. Mrs. Salazar expresses that before reaching the recording and pod casting stage she first works with her students write paragraphs on the topic at hand. This involves note taking, reading and researching before they can create their final project. This is a prime example of integrating the 3 R's and the 4 C's in the 21st Century. 

Oral History:

This is a topic I was most unsure of. I have heard of Oral History, my first thought is history that is told orally. In this I found that I am not wrong but not right either. Oral history is the oldest form of preserving moments, memories, voices and events of the past. This was done with old type tape recorders; but what does this mean as we move towards the digital age and the future of the 21st century? 

Now with technology virtually at our fingertips, how will oral history change? My answer is that it won't. It only becomes easier to preserve information we choose. Although this creates a question for teachers, professors and anyone giving a presentation, as to how or if they will document themselves and add it to the virtual library we call the internet. 

As an aspiring teacher and absolutely camera shy I am not sure I would want to document all of my lessons, lectures or classroom teachings. As I do not fear my credibility as a teacher or that I am doing something wrong but if we choose to add that information for the world to see we will forever be under review. Either stating something we don't personally agree with or a comment that is just through discussion with students; these ideas can always be made to make someone look bad.

 As one article stated that no matter whether we record ourselves through every lecture that we will not be mocked or documented by students and camera phones. There is always a way that information can be made to make us feel insecure or create an uneasy feeling of self. One teacher stated that he always records his lectures but edits or keeps them in his personal file of videos for personal use. Information seems to show at the moment that most lectures are being recorded in more colleges but not many are made for public viewing just yet. 

As a Graduate student and still utterly responsible for attendance and accountability I am still uncomfortable with the online setting of class lectures. I feel this will only become more prevalent as time goes on however, I feel that it will eliminate some costs as far as education but I do not think it will improve learning and grades at this point. What if a student chooses not to attend but the information is available for then at their leisure. They should have to attend the live taping in order to have access to the recorded version. 

Oral History in the Digital Age still has some road to cover, I plan on keeping up with information and contributing where I can. Technology has paved the way for the future in more ways than we have ever thought of. Where will teaching and technology be in 10 years? 20 years? 100 years? 






No comments:

Post a Comment